So, I’ve been building stuff…

So, the VirtualBox server is still up and running. The RAID did fail again a couple of days later but this time, instead of just rebooting and rebuilding the RAID, I shut it down completely and let it sit for an entire day or two. This time I yanked the drives and re-seated them, then rebuilt the RAID. It’s been running since then but I’m not holding out hope. I’ve been copying files over to a couple of emergency NAS boxes I built out of FreeNAS and some 1TB drives. So far so good. I still want to build a proper NAS with a couple of good drives in a custom box with a mini-atx board.

Finished the mini work table for the sander – came out pretty nice, details and pictures to follow.

I’m working on a roll-away cart for my shop equipment, i.e., for my band saws, grinder, and sander. I want to be able to move my tools around as necessary and to free up some space in the corner of the garage/shop. I hope to have adjustable shelves and an external shelf I can use to mount the big band saw for work. Hope it comes out the way I envision it. 🙂

Sadly, the work on the wife’s old Kindle Fire was not successful – couldn’t get it to charge. Plan B is a replacement board.

Lastly – Arizona is the #1 seed in the West Region of the NCAA tournament this year! Game #1 is Friday, 11:10AM. Go Cats!



The RAID in my server decided to lose a drive. Do you know how hard it is to find cheap 1TB SAS drives? Now I have to figure out what I’m going to do to get my important files off the server and on to backup. Now I have to accelerate my plans for another home-built solution. Just crossing my fingers and hoping I can pull data off that volume.

Been busy…

So, two major news items. Well, for me at least.

I’ve been updating the page theme and I think it’s improving – already looks tons better. 🙂 The layout and colors are improving dramatically. I picked the Leniy Radius theme as the starting point and have been adjusting the background, colors, and some of the design cues – such as some rounded corners on the content posts and removing the Chinese characters. Not because they detracted from the theme, but because I don’t speak the language :-P. I’ll keep editing it as I go along, I want to change the header – it’s boring, and I want to change the categories and pages so they show images and color.

One of my buddies from work gave me a Raspberry Pi – he wasn’t planning on using it any time soon and he knew I’d been looking for one. Awesome! I had to buy a new SD HC card reader/write because mine was so OLD but they’re cheap, $10 at Best Buy. I threw the NOOB image on it (New Out Of Box) and booted it up. So far I’ve got OpenELEC running on it, but I need to get the codec’s licensed to view everything. I did load the XBMC Android remote app on my G4 – cool little thing! There will be more later.