I’ve been working on the car, off and on, for the past couple of months. I just haven’t logged anything. Figured it was time to put something down.
Brakes. Gotta have’em. I replaced the master cylinder with the one I got out of my 240, since it was only a few years old, versus 32 years old. I also replaced the front ATE calipers with Girling calipers, which necessitated replacing the hard lines. I did this for two reasons – one, Girling pads are easier to get, and two, I had some nice Teflon-lined stainless steel lines to install. Anyway, got it done. This meant I had to bleed the brakes. Rather than have the wife out there pressing on the brakes, I built a pressure bleeder using a small 1-gallon garden sprayer and miscellaneous hose and plumbing and a spare master cylinder cap. Worked wonders and I was able to bleed the brakes by myself in under an hour. Highly recommended.
I got the opera windows back in. What a pain in the ass! I put one in and then realized that I had to take it back out because the roof trim had to be put back in first. I realized this after the fact. Anyway, got it out and started over. Oh, before I started, I took the windows out of the rubber so I could wash the gunk out. After 32 years, there was alot of dirt in there! In order to put the glass back in I knew I was going to need a thin rope to pull the seam in. Using a standard clothes line, I ran it through a piece of paraffin to lubricated it. A little bit of soap and water on the edge of the rubber and away we went. Pretty easy.
While I was doing the passenger side glass, I paid close attention to the door. I had noticed previously that it didn’t line up right and was hard to close because it would force the door up at the striker. A 12mm socket made quick work of loosening the hinge bolts inside the car and, along with adjustment of the striker, it was straightened out.
Finally, I decided to start it up and run the car. It started, but wow, did it have a rough idle! It didn’t sound anywhere like what it did a couple of months ago, it had a horrible miss. At first I thought it was the MegaSquirt, that the mixture was off. Nope, nothing there. That’s when I decided to take a small drift and tap on the injectors lightly, from one to four. The first three yielded no changes, but as soon as I tapped number four, the idle smoothed out. That makes me wonder if this will happen again. Hmm.
Well, that’s it for this update. I need to get it so I can close the hood and take it for a spin. It needs to go through emissions and a vehicle inspection. Almost there!